Monday, October 23, 2023

Sieve and Let Die by Victoria Hamilto Great Escapes Book Tour


 Character Guest Post


Why I’m a Pharmacist & Other Things About Me

  Valetta Nibley


By: Victoria Hamilton


Pharmacy school was challenging. While I was good at math and science in highschool, none of it prepared me for pharmacy college. It was a grueling four years, then there was a residency after when I worked under a licensed pharmacist for two more years. I believe every bit of that training is necessary, because, as I always say, a pharmacist holds our client/patients’ lives in our hands.


After that, I knew what I wanted to do, and I did it. I am now co-owner of the Queensville Pharmacy inside of the Queensville Emporium. A lot has changed over the years I’ve worked here, but one thing has never changed, and that’s my absolute love of being a pharmacist.


Why?


I understand the question. There’s no glamour in being a pharmacist. It’s a good living and if you like people, it’s rewarding. But try that as an opener at a party – hey, I’m a pharmacist and I love my job, want to talk? – and you’ll likely get yawns.


And then there is the whole ‘pill pusher’ stereotype. People think doctors and pharmacists want to medicate America. Maybe some do, but most just want to alleviate suffering or discomfort. To that end not every pharmacist has a great ‘bedside’ manner, but every single one I’ve ever met is meticulous in distributing the prescriptions for which we are responsible.


Ultimately, my job is interesting and I help people. I suppose it satisfies some need I have to be of service to my community. 


But being a pharmacist is not all there is to me. I volunteer at the food bank, and other charities. I love vintage kitsch and have filled my home with cutesy stuff that I will definitely have to cut back on! I love my cat, Denver. He’s the king of the house.


I’m also a sister and an aunt. My brother, Brock, is annoying at times, but at heart he is a good man trying to be a better man. And his kids, my nephew and niece Will and Eva, are my life. But also, I’m a friend, especially to Jaymie.


Jaymie Leighton Müller: I don’t think she realizes what a huge part she plays in my life. When Becca (her sister) told me about her 

having a baby, I was over the moon, and from that moment on I have watched every step Jaymie has taken as if she were my own sister.


Helping her is important to me. When she recently came to me after a near tragedy and asked my help, I couldn’t refuse. Especially since she was only in a fix because she had been trying to help me after a patient accused me of tampering with her medication.


Ah, see, now we’re back to my job as a pharmacist, and how careful I am, and how dedicated. I would never do anything to harm anyone. Sadly, I couldn’t convince one particular person of that truth.


But we’ll get through it, Jaymie and me. We’ll figure it out.


Signed, Valetta Nibley, PharmD


*Read about Jaymie and Valetta’s adventure in Sieve and Let Die! 

This post is part of the Great Escapes Book Tour 



1 comment: