Sunday, July 3, 2016

Cancelled Vows--Lauren Carr--Book Review


A little about the book (from the authors site)
Police Chief David O’Callaghan and Chelsea Adams’ wedding day is fast approaching. Unfortunately, at the last minute, David discovers that there is one small problem to be taken care of before he can walk down the aisle—divorce his first wife! 

Lauren Carr takes fans of the Mac Faraday mysteries to the Big Apple in this nail biting adventure. In Cancelled Vows, David, Mac, and Gnarly, too, rush to New York City to dissolve David’s marriage to an old girlfriend—and he’s got five days to get it done. When murder throws up a road block, it is up to David’s best man, Mac Faraday, and Gnarly, K9-in-waiting, to sort through the clues to get David to the church in time! 


And I thought . . .  
Another great installment for this series!  Cancelled Vows is #11
in the series.   I was only introduced to Gnarly and his friends a few weeks ago when I heard about book #12.   

                     I can only say "Where I have I been?"  

This book has you from the prologue.  I happened to have a habit of not reading the prologue unless I have to.  I'm usually bored by the back stories.  And ready to get into the meat of the book. 

                             Don't skip the prologue! 
 Ms Carr throws out a hook and reels you in and you can't put this book down!  

When David realizes he's already married he rushes off with Mac and Gnarly (whose in charge of the wedding rings) to NYC
to get David 'unmarried' before his wedding in a few days.   

The scenes do skip back and forth from New York and Mac, David and of course Gnarly.  To the scenes back home where Mac's wife Archie and soon to be bride Chelsea finish up last minute wedding details.    

Upon arriving in New York Mac and David are caught up not only in a murder (which leads to quite a few more) but a cold case and an investigation into 'on the take' policemen.  

The twists and turns in the story are swift and keep you on the edge of  your seat.   

  The reader might make use of the cast of characters in the beginning of the book.  There are a lot of characters.  Each one is important to the story(s).

The main characters in the book are welcoming and heart warming and make you want to meet them and be a part of the story.  Even with his confusion about the upcoming wedding David's character is real. The back story that is revealed back home helps the reader get insight into David and leaves you cheering for a happy ending for all.  

                           And there is one.
          And the story continues in Book 12.  

This is a fun read and deserves my 5 star rating. 
  It did take me awhile because I was reading on my computer.  (The series is on my Christmas wish list).

Cancelled Vows is a humorous, fun, mystery filled book.  There is a pretty long death count.  But as is Ms. Carr's style there are no graphic scenes.   The bedroom scenes are tasteful.  

To purchase or read additional reviews visit these retailers 
 Amazon and Barnes and Noble (bold type is direct link)

This reviews is posted at GoodReads and My Journey Back

I was not asked to read this book or write a review.
All opinions are completely my own. 









No comments:

Post a Comment