Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Author Interview-Bethany Blake Lucky Paws Pet Sitting Mystery Series


Interview with Bethany Blake

Welcome Bethany  I am delighted to have you visit the blog!  Congratulations on the new book!  I love your Pet Sitting Series!  
Thanks for having me. And I’m so glad you like the series!

I am looking forward to reading Paws and Predicaments for The Great Escapes Tour. 
I  am so glad you’ve decided touring with Lori and Great Escapes again.  I was on the Death by Chocolate Lab tour it was so fun from my end.  I love interviews so I sign up as often as I can. 
Thanks for being part of the first tour. It was so fun for me, too!

What is your favorite part of the tour? (interviews, quest post etc.) 
I love interviews. It’s always fun to encounter a new question I’ve never run across.

Before we get into the new book I have a few fun questions.  At least I hope they are fun!
The first because we have some similar hobbies I have to ask…

English or Western?  I love English, but the older I get, the more I appreciate a saddle horn to hold onto. So probably Western! Bay or Color? I have a fondness for grays.  Mare or Gelding? Geldings! I like steady rides.
Here are my answers  Western, Paint or Dun.  Gelding.  We are pretty close!

I know you have a whole mess of pets hanging around.  Do any of them help you when you write? My pittie mix, Daisy—aka “Big Pup”—is always with me when I write. I’m on my laptop right now, on the couch, and she’s squished up against my legs, sleeping.  And snoring. Really loudly!

Which is more intriguing as a place to write.   A private island?  A cabin in the woods? The busy city?    Have you ever written in any of these places?
Oh, that’s tough.  If you had asked me in the summer, I would’ve said cabin in the woods. Okay, I’m still going to say cabin in the woods. I just pictured myself lighting a fire, pouring a glass of wine, and watching the snow fall past the windows. The other option was private island. I love cities, but only in small doses. And I’ve never written in any of those places. I usually work in my old house in my small town.

If you could spend one day with any of your characters, who would it be?  And what would you do during that day?
I would spend the day with my amateur sleuth, Daphne Templeton. We’d eat brunch at her tiny house, Plum Cottage, then walk her pet sitting clients and maybe do some baking for pets at her shop, Flour Power. I’d want to round out the day by having dinner with Daphne, her overbearing mother, her sister Piper, and her best friend Moxie Bloom at one of the town’s many wonderful restaurants. Maybe the historic Wolf Hollow Mill. Yum!

Is the town the town of Sylvan Creek fictional? How did you choose the location?
The town is based upon my hometown of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. I used to live in the apartment that serves as Moxie Bloom’s garret. And we have a little park with a stream, just like Pettigrew Park. There’s even a Garden Club scarecrow display, like the one in Dial Meow for Murder. And the big cats rescue in Pawprints & Predicaments is based on a preserve called T&D’s Cats of the World, not far from my home.

The characters are super fun.  Daphne and that handsome Detective Black seem to be smitten. Is that little simmer of romance from Death by Chocolate Lab going to come to a boil In Paws and Predicaments? First of all, I’m glad you enjoy the characters. Daphne and Jonathan definitely have some tension between them. They get closer in each book, but there’s a competing interest in Pawprints & Predicaments!

I loved the addition of the recipes in your books.  Do you think you could give us a sneak peak and share one today?
Here’s one of Socrates’s favorites, for “Woofles” dog waffles:
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup brewer’s yeast
½ tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
2/3 cup beef broth
½ cup peanut butter
1 6 oz. container plain yogurt
1 Tbs. honey
Get your waffle iron ready, or preheat your oven to 350
 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the egg and beef broth to make a batter. Scoop out about a tablespoon of batter and either bake or use your waffle iron to cook for about 12 minutes. The woofles will be dense and more dry than regular waffles.
While still warm, spread peanut butter on the woofles and allow to cool.
Mix the yogurt and honey and dollop some of this “whipped cream” onto the treats before serving.
Just make sure the woofles are cool before serving!

Thanks so much!  I would love to make some for my dog and I know my readers will 
be thrilled for the sneak peek!

 I admit I am a bit of a cover junkie I am always curious! I was wondering how much input do you have in the cover design. My only input consists of supplying pictures and descriptions of the pets in the stories. Beyond that, the amazing artist takes over. I have never felt compelled to make any changes!

Well I know you must be super busy.  Probably planning another book!
And I need to go read Paws and Predicaments!  It was super fun chatting.
I would love for you to come again and maybe bring Daphne along!  And Socrates! Congratulations on the new book!
Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog, and the congratulations. I would love to return for another visit some time, and Daphne and Socrates would definitely come along! Until next time! XOXO, Bethany


Thanks so much for chatting today.  I hope you have a Great tour!

And about Bethany
Bethany Blake lives in a small, quaint town in Pennsylvania with her husband and three daughters. When she’s not writing or riding horses, she’s wrangling a menagerie of furry family members that includes a nervous pit bull, a fearsome feline, a blind goldfish, and an attack cardinal named Robert. Like Daphne Templeton, the heroine of her Lucky Paws Mysteries, Bethany holds a Ph.D. and operates a pet sitting business called Barkley’s Premium Pet Care.
Author Links 
Purchase Links
Amazon B&N  Kobo   Google Play 

No comments:

Post a Comment